Spaced Out

April 18, 2008

Switch board

I found this wierd looking switch board at my friend's house the other day. Can someone help me, point out the switch to the plug? I never understood the principle of placing the plug point in the centre. Was the electrician trying to concentrate on composition and symmetry? The chord connects to an extension strip which supplies power to a television, desktop and music system. A person who is not familiar with this switch board is bound to upset a lot of members in the house as he / she would accidently switch off a whole set of electronic devices. This precisely what happened when I went ahead to turn off the ceiling fan. I found to my amusement and others disbelief that I had turned off these amazing gadgets. Power switch is placed to the left of chord - another inconsistency to the usual standards [it's usually right]. A simple label /sign would have done the trick but I guess one never thought of it!

4 Comments:

  • :) U can do a case study on this bad design..

    By Blogger Vidya Vijayan, at 3:58 AM  

  • nice read but there is a typo.

    you would disappoint others only when you switch off something. however, here your intention was to switch on, I am wondering how did you end up switching something off. we have up and down directions to switch off and switch on resp. Dude, i am confused. help me out...

    By Blogger Bard from Google, at 7:54 AM  

  • How do you manage to find such things- and what's more, how can you fill up so much space on the screen with such a small, inconsistent detail? More over I don't like the switches either... :P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:40 PM  

  • probably what is required here is 5 S like they follow in Japan. They have mastered this art.. Right things in the right place and enough signages.

    By Blogger Janaki Gopikrishna, at 9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home