Spaced Out

February 03, 2005

The Girl

A Study
When I use the word busy, I do not mean 'engaged'. I usually am engaged in some activity or the other and fact says that it was truly productive. Being busy in the workplace from the employer's point of view is different from any other view. My employer would have been the happiest person to find me doing some productive work.
It was a tough day with too many things happening from 'work' point of view. But there was this momentary phase wherein I was diverted for sometime. There was this girl who had come to the workplace for some odd test / other. I was amazed to see her seated in the reception area for more than 3 hours. It was shocking to see a girl of that age with so much patience. She must be on her teens and the saddest part is that she was sitting there by herself. I was tempted to lend her Rupa Bajwa's - 'The Sari Shop' ; or (still better) would have even initiated a conversation with the lonely soul, had I not been bound to 'work'.
Dressed in pure casuals ( jeans and t-shirt) she appeared calm and poised. The newspaper placed alongside was untouched and so was the water. The frequent phone calls attended by the receptionist coupled with occasional dialogues by random visitors / staff were probably the only auditory inputs she received. The expression of acute boredom did seem to appear in her face, during one of my frequent visits across the reception area, but she was quick enough to change it with a hand gesture (adjusting her hair / a small forced cough / scratching, side of the neck with her index finger).
Unfortunately that was the last of my observations, cause by the time I was free, the 'subject' of my study had already left. I tried asking the receptionist about the same but failed to get a suitable response. The study would have revealed a wealth of information, as to how people react when they are bored to death ; the things that come in their mind, the way they perceive the whole environment (which includes both animate and inanimate objects), gestures / body languages, the time taken to process the first word that they speak after a long gap of silence (most of them are drowned in their own thoughts) and last but not the least I missed out on a good date !


2 Comments:

  • Missed a WHAT??

    DUDE! You're flattering yourself :D

    Just how bored was she???

    By Blogger Saad, at 2:04 AM  

  • something's require 'balls'

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home